Haystack Mountain Creamery is a growing, award winning artisanal cheese company located in Longmont, Colorado. Locally owned and operated since 1989, we produce an internationally recognized, premium selection of handcrafted raw and pasteurized cheeses. Our cheeses exhibit exceptionally fresh, clean flavors and textures—a direct result of the pure, high-quality goat’s milk and the skill of our award-winning cheese maker, Jackie Chang. We have won over 80 awards in the last 18 years including the “Best Cheese in America” at the 2017 World Cheese Awards in London.
Haystack Mountain Creamery is seeking a full-time, long-term employee. We hope to find an applicant committed to over one (1) year and ideally for several years of work. The preferred applicant has a passion for cheese making and a desire to do all tasks necessary to make excellent cheese in an artisanal environment. The applicant must be able to work quickly and efficiently. This is a job for someone who is passionate about the cheese world.
Haystack is proud to be a non-union shop with a history of making fine cheeses for over 30 years where all respect and entitlements are earned through hard work and success. Applicant must have experience in making Cheddars, Jacks and bloomy rind cheeses in an artisanal environment. Food Safety knowledge and experience making raw milk cheeses are a plus.
Essentials Duties and Responsibilities
- Read and understand SSOP processes for each cheese make
- Performs sets-up, dismantles, cleans, and sanitizes machinery
- Assembles equipment based on process
- Prepares ingredients and records lot number on make sheets
- Completes make sheets, cleaning records, lab records, and any other assigned documents.
- Takes pH, temperature, moisture on product to control the process
- Transfers to packaging or draining tables based on process
- Completes all quality and accounting paperwork
- Knowledge of CIP and cleaning of all pipes, hoses, pumps, vats and any equipment used
- Performs environmental cleaning
- Follow all procedures, GMPs, safety, quality, sanitation plans and collects samples for Quality Assurance, as needed
- Coordinates with other cheesemakers
- Helps in tasks as assigned and/or where needed
- Flexible with work schedule
- 18 years or older
- 2+ years of dairy plant experience
- Pays attention to detail and has excellent organizational skills
- Works independently and in small groups
- Can perform basic math skills
- Effectively communicates and actively listens
- Aspires to produce quality work at a swift pace
- Can multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Has a willing attitude to learn and better themselves and the Creamery
Essential Physical Requirements
Working in a manufacturing or warehouse environment, you will be walking, standing and engaging in movement throughout the day, and occasionally to frequently be required to lift items weighing up to 50 lbs. Due to a large variety of job duties (both routine and non-routine), certain duties also may involve, a variety of physical activities including bending, lifting, stooping, turning, twisting, pushing, pulling, raising arms above shoulders and head, standing, working in enclosed areas, climbing stairs or ladders, and operating heavy machinery. The noise level in the work environment can vary but noise is usually low to moderate. You may be required to wear personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety gloves, hearing protection, a respirator or dust mask, protective footwear and protective clothing or uniforms. Work may be performed in cold and/or hot temperatures and the environment can be dusty. Physical requirements further include the ability to engage in productive and collaborative communication with co-workers and work may need to be performed during non-standard hours, including nights and weekends. At times, the ability to work overtime also may be required. The ability to perform these requirements is necessary to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Compensation & Benefits
- Pay range: $18 – $25 per hour
- Starting Date: Position to start ASAP
- Benefits: Medical insurance, savings plan
- Opportunity for growth and additional responsibility based on performance and aptitude