Career: Head of Operations
Locally owned and operated since 1989, Haystack Mountain produces an internationally recognized, premium selection of handcrafted raw and pasteurized cheeses. Haystack Mountain cheeses exhibit exceptionally fresh, clean flavors and textures—a direct result of the pure, high-quality goat’s milk and the skill of our award-winning cheese maker, Jackie Chang.
With the intent of scaling our operations and extending our reach to consumers across the country, we are looking for a Head of Operations. This proven leader & skilled operator will work closely with the President, CEO and the Board of Directors, while spending valuable time on the production floor with our cheesemaker and production staff. The Head of Operations will assume full responsibility for the day-to-day operations of Haystack and will partner with all key stakeholders to develop and execute growth and profitability initiatives.
The role requires a production background in perishable consumer goods and core competencies in management, operations, quality systems, procurement and finance.
The Head of Operations provides strong leadership and direction to the plant in all areas of responsibility including administration, production, processing, packaging, quality, maintenance, warehousing, shipping, and purchasing. It is a full-time executive level position. Duties include:
- Responsible for the plant property and equipment.
- Directs the overall activities of the manufacturing facilities to ensure customer orders are received, scheduled, produced and shipped at the lowest possible cost to meet the customers’ requirements and established quality standards.
- Manages the head cheese maker and all production staff.
- Works closely with cheese maker to ensure quality and safety.
- Works closely with Sales & Marketing to manage/execute the forecasting plan.
- Manages R&D and product development.
- Manages the food safety program to ensure compliance throughout the supply chain.
- Ensures the plant is in compliance with all State and Federal regulatory requirements including GMP’s, HACCP, Sanitation, Recall Plans and Environmental Monitoring.
- Negotiates the procurement of manufacturing ingredients to ensure consistent supply and lowest cost possible.
- Verifies compliance of all suppliers with QA requirements.
- Establishes relationships with farmers and suppliers to ensure consistent supply, quality and reasonable cost.
- Creates production scheduling and plan to ensure milk supply is available.
- Responsible for A/R and A/P.
- Closely monitors the company’s cash flow and working capital.
- Develops the annual manufacturing expense budget in accordance with forecasted sales volumes and planned inventory levels.
- Executes financial KPIs as determined by the Board and CEO.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Qualifications & Experience:
- 7+ years of hands-on experience, preferably in dairy plant operations or food industry or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to work well with others, train and supervise staff, handle multiple tasks effectively, able to organize work, formulate policy, plan budgets, motivate employees, direct activities, multi-task, assess, evaluate and solve problems.
- Knowledge base and experience building and executing quality systems and food safety programs.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing strategic plans that will vary in depth and scope of work.
- Excellent leadership, communication, and problem-solving skills.
- Experience negotiating and managing strategic partnerships.